[Xymon] Upgrade woes

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Wed Jun 8 01:36:23 CEST 2016

On Tue, June 7, 2016 1:57 pm, Galen Johnson wrote:
> Ok, I'm sure I'm missing something covered but I can't find it.  I just
> updated to 4.3.27 (from 4.3.21) and suddenly several of my https tests are
> returning a 403 whereas prior to the upgrade they worked fine.  I don't
> see anything obvious in my logs.  Has anyone else hit this?  If so, how
> did you fix?  I've tried forcing the tests to use tls, etc to no avail.
> Also, my 301 messages are coming in yellow...this is niggling something in
> my memory but I can't grab it.

Hi Galen,

Yes, if by "returning a 403" you mean going red, that's expected. It was
part of a change that went into 4.3.22 (with bugs fixed in 4.3.24). Same
with 301 being yellow. If the HTTP response was previously 200 OK but
you're now seeing a 403 Forbidden before, then there's something else
going on...

https://sourceforge.net/p/xymon/code/HEAD/tree/branches/4.3.24/Changes

Re: HTTP codes
In the future, this should be site-global-configurable, but at the moment
the global error codes used for red/yellow/green evaluation are static.

If the URL code in question is "expected", you can override the eval on a
URL-by-URL basis by changing your test from:
192.168.0.1 www.example.com # http://www.example.com/
192.168.0.1 www.example.com # httpstatus;http://www.example.com.com/;403;

This should be done with a 301 (perm redirect) if you know that it's
correct, but it's often safer with a 403 Forbidden to actually test a
login, add a dummy file in the directory (if Indexing is disabled), or
change the URL to something with an OK response... That way you'll know if
something breaks and you end up with a 403 that you didn't expect.

HTH,

-jc