[Xymon] Host Names

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Mon Jul 18 23:39:06 CEST 2016

On 7/18/2016 1:21 PM, Joshua Hunt wrote:
> Lets take an example host from my hosts.cfg file, call it
> "myhost.site.secure". When I look at my Xymon webpage, I want to the
>  header "testhost" instead of "myhost.site.secure" at the front of
> the system line. I can get the name to appear correctly, but when I
> do, all of my tests stop producing data.

I would use a line that looked like:

0.0.0.0   myhost.site.secure   # NAME:testhost

I am assuming my client is reporting messages to "myhost.site.secure".
The message-matching is done to the name in the second field. The "NAME"
tag is used only when generating web-pages.

The "CLIENT" tag is used to match messages sent by a client under a name
different from its hostname. It doesn't affect the way the host is
displayed on the web page.

> Here are the options I've tried:
>
> NAME:testhost myhost.site.secure

If you tried to put a line in the hosts.cfg with that format, I would
not expect it to work. The "NAME" tag goes _after_ the hash.

 From the hosts.cfg man file:

> The format of an entry in the hosts.cfg file is as follows:
>    IP-address hostname # tag1 tag2 ...

I use zeros for my IP-address because I assume myhost.site.secure is
resolvable by DNS. If it isn't, you will need to provide the correct
address and include the tag "TESTIP"

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Enterprise Technology Services