[Xymon] Merging hosts

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Sat Jan 9 06:53:44 CET 2016

On Fri, January 8, 2016 3:29 pm, Thomas Leavitt wrote:
> Is there an easy (or even medium hard) way to merge the content of two
> hosts? I updated the entry for a server in Xymon to a fully qualified
> hostname, but the server is identifying itself with an unqualified
> hostname, and putting the CLIENT: tag fixed it, but for some reason, it
> seems to have lost track of the prior history. :/

It depends slightly on what you mean here as the history files are stored
in separate places, either as separate files in the directory (snapshots,
historical status messages, RRD files), or lines in the history file.

You should be able to simply move the former files into the properly-named
directories (you'll lose RRD data points since the transition, but merging
RRDs is a major headache...), but if you want this history timeline to
cover the recent period as well you'll want to append those lines to the
previous one. (The history file is what's read in when you click the
History button on any status page.)

All of these files are located in the various directories underneath
$XYMONVAR (/var/lib/xymon/ in the RPM), so a 'find' command looking for
the old hostname should help you find any stragglers there.

And of course, you'll want to make sure the FQDN is listed properly in
hosts.cfg.

HTH,
-jc