[Xymon] 30-second refresh [was: 4.3.25 - ouch]

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Wed Feb 10 23:02:34 CET 2016

On 2/10/2016 12:44 PM, Matt Vander Werf wrote:
- snip -
> I very much disagree with the idea of having to hit F5 every so often to
> see a refreshed Xymon page, rather then it refreshing automatically.
>
> If I have a Xymon page up on a monitor and then I am working on
> something else on another monitor, I don't want to have to go over to
> the browser on the other monitor and hit F5 every so often to refresh
> the page. I'd much rather it refresh every so often automatically, so
> then I just have to look over at the monitor every so often to look for
> any changes.
>
> Where exactly are you seeing this refresh change (just curious)?

This refresh has been moved from the _meta_ content of the svchosts page
the HTTP _header_ . As such, "view source" will no longer reveal it.

> Why wouldn't you want it to refresh automatically? Isn't the idea to get
> the most up-to-date info possible?

Not in all cases. I want the general pages of hosts (like xymon.html) to
refresh periodically, but there is no need to have them auto-refresh
faster than I am running xymongen.

The issue I see is specifically with the "info" page produced by
svcstatus.sh. I have it open when I'm studying a host for a specific
reason. I would prefer that page not auto-refresh while I'm studying it
trying to figure out a problem. If I want new information, I can refresh
it. I might even want to keep it frozen and open a new copy in a new tab
so I could compare the past and the present.

Does anyone put a single host's "info" page on a screen and leave it
there for general monitoring? If so, why? What problem does it solve
that looking at the parent page of hosts does not?

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Enterprise Technology Services
Department of Administration