[Xymon] HTTP test accessible local only

Lars Kollstedt lk at man-da.de
Thu Feb 4 00:01:11 CET 2016

Am Freitag, 29. Januar 2016, 13:34:47 schrieb Novosielski, Ryan:
> Hi there,
>
> Figured I could use a little bit of collective wisdom here:
>
> I have an HTTP service that is only accessible from the local machine
> (either connected to by a local app or a web browser that is launched from
> the server). I’d like to test that it is available. I don’t need any more
> specialized functionality than I would have from the HTTP test (maybe I’d
> set up an HTTP POST to actually log in).
>
> Is there a way to somehow cause the client to do this, without writing an
> external script, or some other way to do what I’m talking about that I
> might not have considered?
>
> Thanks!

Hi,

another way would be to use the real Xymonnet HTTP Check like you would use it
on a monitoring satelite (Xymonnet Server).
This might be a bit overkill, but I would expect it to give back better
results than a self writen script. At least selfwriten within the time you
need to configure.

The monitoring of the port state as mentioned by J.C. might be easier and more
straight forward way. And I would prefer it, if it fit's the needs.

The xymonnet is part of the server package. On the "client" running the server
package you'll need to deactivate all sections but

| # "xymonnet" runs the xymonnet tool to perform the network based tests
| #     - i.e. http, smtp, ssh, dns and
| # all of the various network protocols we need to test.
| [xymonnet]
|         ENVFILE /usr/lib/xymon/server/etc/xymonserver.cfg
| #        NEEDS xymond
| #        CMD xymonnet --report --ping --checkresponse
|            CMD xymonnet --noping --checkresponse=red
|         LOGFILE $XYMONSERVERLOGS/xymonnet.log
|         INTERVAL 5m

And remove/comment out the NEEDS line, since this works only if Xymonnet and
Xymondisplay are on the same host.

See man xymonnet(1) for usefull options.
I think --noping would be what you'll want. The --checkresponse has only an
effect if you are checking also Ports configured in protocols.cfg.  The --report
is for the xymonnet-Column, this selfmonitoring might work, since it will
report it xymonnet-Column for the "client", but choose yourself if you need
this.

I'm running this with =red since it was a common wish from our server admins
to alert if the Ports don't return the expected helo.

You'll also need to disable
| #directory /usr/lib/xymon/server/etc/tasks.d
| #include /var/run/xymon/xymonlaunch-include.cfg
 too, since some additional stuff might come in this way.

After this is done you can set XYMONSERVERIP in the xymonservers.cfg on the
client to the IP of the real server.

Now you'll be able to configure your HTTP check in the hosts.cfg on the
"client" as you are used to do on the "server". But be aware you should *only*
configure the "client" *itself* in *it's* hosts.cfg.

For real Xymonnet Servers there is a "NET:<XymonNetIdentifier>" tag available,
but this would be real overkill in this case.

Might be I've forgotten something. But this should be it. ;-)

Kind regards,
	Lars

--
man-da.de GmbH, AS8365                          Phone: +49 6151 16-71027
Mornewegstraße 30                               Fax: +49 6151 16-71198
D-64293 Darmstadt                               e-mail: lk at man-da.de
Geschäftsführer Marcus Stögbauer                AG Darmstadt, HRB 94 84