[Xymon] HTTP test accessible local only

Novosielski, Ryan novosirj at ca.rutgers.edu
Wed Feb 3 22:33:52 CET 2016

> On Feb 3, 2016, at 4:11 PM, J.C. Cleaver <cleaver at terabithia.org> wrote:
>
> On Fri, January 29, 2016 10:34 am, Novosielski, Ryan wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Figured I could use a little bit of collective wisdom here:
>>
>> I have an HTTP service that is only accessible from the local machine
>> (either connected to by a local app or a web browser that is launched from
>> the server). I’d like to test that it is available. I don’t need any
>> more specialized functionality than I would have from the HTTP test (maybe
>> I’d set up an HTTP POST to actually log in).
>>
>> Is there a way to somehow cause the client to do this, without writing an
>> external script, or some other way to do what I’m talking about that I
>> might not have considered?
>
> The client itself is purposefully dumb, so there's not too much one could
> do without writing a script that actually performs an HTTP interaction.
>
> However, if the port is static you could use the PORT criteria in
> analysis.cfg(5) to ensure that something is up and "listen"ing on the
> system, which might be better than nothing. On a normal install, that
> could be done without any local config.
>
> To really exercise it, especially as a POST service, I'd suggest a
> wget/curl script as a client extension that simply reports a status
> message back. Sometimes simplest is easiest.
>
> HTH,
> -jc

I was afraid of that, but I figured it was worth a shot as people get up to some pretty crafty stuff in here. :) I’m actually not sure if the port is listening or not when this particular service gets into the bad state (it /is/ a static port), but that’s a thing to consider/somewhat easier than bothering with a script. Thanks again!

--
____ *Note: UMDNJ is now Rutgers-Biomedical and Health Sciences*
||_// Biomedical | Ryan Novosielski - Senior Technologist
|| \\ and Health | novosirj at rutgers.edu - 973/972.0922 (2x0922)
||  \\  Sciences | OIRT/High Perf & Res Comp - MSB C630, Newark
     `'