[Xymon] hostname retrieval is broken after adding a host

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Tue Feb 2 22:13:11 CET 2016

On Tue, February 2, 2016 12:24 pm, John Thurston wrote:
> On 2/2/2016 5:42 AM, J.C. Cleaver wrote:
>> On Mon, February 1, 2016 4:59 pm, John Thurston wrote:
> - snip -
>>> . . . why am
>>> I the only one seeing this failure? Why aren't the folks running linux
>>> having their alerts fail?
>>>
>   - snip -
>> It turns out the host info record here is *only* used for display groups
>> and holiday lookups (probably rarely used), within the context of
>> alerting.
>
> And I suspect I am one of the few people using display groups to drive
> my alerting. I resisted defining alert groups back in the BB days
> because it seemed like too much work. When I moved to Xymon and I could
> leverage my existing display groups, I jumped on board.

Ahh, yes, this would definitely have affected this then...

>> Can you please check the included two patches? One is an update for the
>> previous one, which passes the alert check through (only adding the
>> dummy
>> record in --test mode to begin with), the other adds hosts.cfg reloading
>> on intervals or on demand.
>
> With these patches, my non-production server running 4.3.22 on Solaris
> 10 is running much better. This is very encouraging :)

Indeed! This is slated for RC2 now.

> Looking at the patch files and reading the new source, am I correct it
> adds a couple of startup options to xymond_alert?
>    --reload-interval=number-of-seconds
>    --loadhostsfromxymond
> where the first specifies the number of seconds after which the contents
> of hosts.cfg should be reloaded, and the second says hosts.cfg could be
> retrieved from xymond rather than the filesystem (similar to the
> existing option for xymongen).

Correct. Easier to grok in both cases. Actually, all long-running
processes that manipulate hosts in something other than a textual way
should be periodically reloading, from whichever source they're using.

Regards,

-jc