[Xymon] monitor an RDP user

Japheth Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Wed Dec 14 23:00:12 CET 2016

On 12/14/2016 10:18 AM, Dito wrote:
> I need to monitor and make sure the user is always logged on, it's
> obviously windows.
> I am using the bbwin client still, it has the who.dll external builtin
> but you can't specify any parameters for it.
>
> I am mainly looking for idea, I can manage a batch file or a
> powershell to pass it to, search current session, find the user and
> "green if it's loggedin" or "purple".
>
> I need a little more help with linux however, so my question to you guys is:
>
> should I instead do this on the xymon server? grep the existing "who"
> report maybe and then spit out a new report name "useron" or something
> like that?
> If that's possible, should I look at analysis.cfg or should I play
> with xmongrep ?
>
> Thank you in advance.
>

> Gab

If you 'd like to do it server-side, there's a sample script at
https://sourceforge.net/p/xymon/code/HEAD/tree/branches/4.3.27/xymond/xymond_rootlogin.pl
that should be able to help. It's written for examining the 'who' output
from *nix client, but with a slight change to the regex (at least
looking at how the PS client reports on my Win10 box), it should work
for a Windows system as well. Simply run it while listening to the
"client" channel, using a similar setup to how xymond_client is being
run from tasks.cfg.

You wouldn't really want a "non-logged in user" to be purple, however,
as that signifies a lack of (expected) report. You'd want it to always
return red/yellow/green (or clear), leaving purples to be internally
generated by xymon itself when it notices that this report hasn't come
in recently.

HTH,
-jc