[Xymon] Parsing problems with client reports

Japheth Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Tue Dec 13 17:59:56 CET 2016

On 12/13/2016 7:01 AM, Scot Kreienkamp wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> Has anyone been working on the problem where reports from clients are
> getting confused on the server?  I am getting multiple false alerts
> daily now where it will turn back to green at the next test, and when
> I go to look at the test in xymon it’s because it’s only got partial
> information.  In multiple instances now I’ve been able to see the
> report from another client, in part or in full, in one clients page.
> In the most recent incident last week I could see the beginning client
> line from another windows client report halfway down in the ports test
> for a Linux client.
>
> All the false reports are really damaging the trust we place in Xymon
> to monitor our systems, and people are starting to just delete the
> warning emails without looking at them because we get so many false
> reports now.
>
> Thanks
>
> *Scot Kreienkamp | Senior Systems Engineer | La-Z-Boy Corporate*
> One La-Z-Boy Drive | Monroe, Michigan 48162  |( 734-384-6403|
> |)7349151444| * Scot.Kreienkamp at la-z-boy.com <mailto:%7BE-mail%7D>
> www <http://www.la-z-boy.com/>.la-z-boy.com <http://www.la-z-boy.com/>
> | facebook. <https://www.facebook.com/lazboy>com
> <https://www.facebook.com/lazboy>/
> <https://www.facebook.com/lazboy>lazboy <http://facebook.com/lazboy> |
> twitter.com/lazboy <https://twitter.com/lazboy> | youtube.com/
> <https://www.youtube.com/user/lazboy>lazboy
> <https://www.youtube.com/user/lazboy>

Can you enable MALLOC_PERTURB_=1 and *MALLOC_CHECK_=3***in the xymon
environment? I've noticed this occasionally in the past and added
debugging logic, but I wasn't able to reliably duplicate it. I noticed
that it did seem to happen more often when the server was under memory
pressure and didn't seem to be related to truncated (or garbled)
incoming TCP connections.

Also, what version and distro?

-jc