[Xymon] DNS test interaction with 0.0.0.0

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Wed Apr 6 19:41:20 CEST 2016

On 4/6/2016 9:23 AM, John Thurston wrote:
- snip -
> The presence of the equal-sign separated parameter to the DNS test is
> breaking the test function. In my tests, the equal-sign syntax is only
> functional if the host to be tested is specified with an ip address.
> This is true even if xymonnet is called with --dns=only

- snip-

> These tests have been performed on Solaris 10 with 4.3.26. I'm going to
> try similar tests on Linux on 4.3.17 and see how those results compare.

I have confirmed that I see the same broken results on on linux 4.3.17

I hadn't experienced this defect before because my only "equal-sign DNS"
tests were being performed against un-resolvable hosts (so were
specified with an IP address); and all of my resolvable hosts were only
being asked to look up their own name.

I can hack around this defect by defining my host with an IP address,
but it would be nice if we figure out why its broken and fix it. I'm off
to wade through xymonnet.c with my terrible C-parsing skills.

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Enterprise Technology Services
Department of Administration