[Xymon] adding a SVCS column for non-Windows clients?

Richard Hamilton rlhamil2 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 22:32:41 CEST 2016

Solaris 10 and later, and Mac OS X have a more or less similar* concept to
Windows services: processes that are kept running by svc.startd (Solaris)
or launchd (OS X).  It seems to me not unreasonable for them to report
those in the same column, and to be able to use at least some of the  same
syntax for the SVC line (status={started|stopped} only, since checking for
the equivalent of startup= would be at best unduly tedious; i.e. neither
svcs -a (Solaris) nor launchctl list (OS X) actually report whether the
setting of a "service" is such that they'll be enabled at next reboot).

Here's the thing: I'm not clear what actually evaluates the SVC expression
against the client data; does that happen on the server, or on the client?

In other words, what magic do I need to know to write a client-side script
that will not only report the data, but do whatever its part of the job is
in terms of either formatting it so the server can evaluate it, or so the
client can obtain the configuration info from the server, as applicable?

* I realize Windows services imply a bit more than just processes managed
by the OS; but I don't think those differences are relevant to what I'd
like to do.