[Xymon] reading /var/log/messages

Root, Paul T Paul.Root at CenturyLink.com
Mon Sep 14 19:19:24 CEST 2015

You would need to restart the xymon client after adding it to the group. That sort of thing isn’t dynamic.

You may need to stop xymon, logout,  log back in, and then start it. Depending on how you login to the xymon user.

Maybe run group before starting to make sure xymon is in the splunk group.

From: Elizabeth Jones [mailto:oogiejonz at yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, September 14, 2015 10:36 AM
To: xymon at xymon.com
Subject: reading /var/log/messages

We just set up splunk in our environment and have made all our /var/log/messages owned by root:splunk mode 640 so that splunk can read and index these files.  I was thinking I could add xymon user to splunk group and that would allow xymon to read /var/log/messages as well, but it doesn't seem to be working.  I can read /var/log/messages as the xymon user but the msgs web page is still showing

Cannot open logfile /var/log/messages : Permission denied
Any ideas on what else I can do to allow xymon to get these logs?
This communication is the property of CenturyLink and may contain confidential or privileged information. Unauthorized use of this communication is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the communication and any attachments.