[Xymon] Spurious purple messages

Vernon Everett everett.vernon at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 09:56:20 CEST 2015

Hi Colin

What do the client hosts share in common?
I have seen in the past, a client was overloading their storage system, and
were overflowing buffers and exceeding the storage array's ability to
process IO requests. Of course this caused a general disk latency, which
slowed things down to the point of a purple flood.
Was no simple solution to that one, except buy more storage, which they did.

Also, check the "serial numbers" on the messages. Is this a repeat of an
older message - in which case Xymon might have something fishy going on, or
are they new messages every day, as in it really thinks there is a problem.

Xymon only updates pages every 2 and 5 minutes, depending on the page you
are looking at. Meaning you could wait up to 7 minutes for the real status
to appear.
A purple takes 30 minutes to trigger.
With some unfortunate, and highly improbable timing on whatever is
triggering these events, it's possible you might not see the purple.
Have you pulled up a "snapshot report" for the exact time of the messages?

Something else unlikely, but possible, is the network.
The conn test used ping, which is UDP
The Xymon agent sends using TCP.
Is there anything interesting happening on the network at the time?

Regards
Vernon

On 8 September 2015 at 11:39, Colin Coe <colin.coe at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Since Friday September 4, I've started receiving "stopped reporting
> (PURPLE)" messages for all tests on all hosts from one of our Xymon
> servers.
>
> The host status, as shown in the Main View, is green for all hosts and
> tests.  No purple at all.
>
> The "stopped reporting (PURPLE)" messages are being sent at the same
> time every day, 1:45PM.
>
> Any advise on how I should track this down?
>
> Thanks

"Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory"
- General George Patton