[Xymon] "invalid data" shown for swap usage; swap goes Clear (NOT red) and Memory goes Green

Matt Vander Werf mvanderw at nd.edu
Mon Oct 12 15:20:36 CEST 2015

Hello,

We've noticed that when total Swap being used is greater than the total
Swap on the machine in the memory column/page, Xymon reports back with 0%
for Swap usage and alongside it, it says, " - invalid data".

We've noticed this happening several times for us and I assume it's due to
excessive swap usage that causes the memory/swap usage being reported by
the machine going completely out of wack...

Here's a recent example:

   Memory              Used       Total  Percentage[image: green]
Physical          10183M      11910M         85%[image: green] Actual
           9945M      11910M         83%[image: clear] Swap
1759218M       3967M          0% - invalid data

This is fine and all and it's certainly not Xymon's fault in any way, as
it's just reporting what the machine is reporting (and the machine is also
showing wacked out numbers for swap usage).

What I don't care for is that when this happens, the color/state for Swap
just goes Clear, which causes the memory page/column to just go Green for
the machine in question. This makes it very hard to know when this kind of
thing happens and needs to be addressed (usually with a reboot of the
machine), as it just appears that everything is fine since memory is
showing Green. Often times, we don't even get any warning of excessive swap
usage with any Yellow or Red alerts prior to this happening as it happens
so fast on the machine, too fast for Xymon to catch it.

Is it possible to make it so that this kind of situation causes the
color/state for Swap to go Red, as an indication that something is very
wrong and needs to be addressed, instead of going Clear? Or at least makes
it go Yellow?

I'd greatly appreciate this being changed so it at least doesn't show
Clear! Any other suggestions for how to change this behavior are more then
welcome!

Thanks for the help!!

--
Matt Vander Werf