[Xymon] Critical Systems editor -- which characters are problematic in text input fields?

Shawn Heisey hobbit at elyograg.org
Thu Nov 26 00:56:44 CET 2015

I'm running Xymon 4.3.23 with the http status patch from 4.3.24.

I've been adding some info to the Critical Systems config.  I have
learned that the double quote character (") causes text in fields like
Instructions to be truncated when the entry is brought up for further
editing.

The full text was properly saved in critical.cfg, including the double
quote and everything after it.  There hasn't been a new alarm since
setting it up, so I don't know whether the full message would have
appeared on the test status page when accessed from Critical Systems.

Are there any characters that will cause actual problems?  I think it's
probably a good idea to pop up an error when submitting the form if
illegal characters are present, or maybe just have a note on the page
that indicates which characters should not be used.  If having a double
quote in the message is not actually problematic, then I believe there's
a bug.

Thanks,
Shawn