[Xymon] weird http test issue on 4.3.21

Bruce Ferrell bferrell at baywinds.org
Thu Nov 5 16:41:40 CET 2015

On 11/5/15 5:44 AM, J.C. Cleaver wrote:

> On Wed, November 4, 2015 11:00 pm, Bruce Ferrell wrote:
>> I have a set of name based virtual hosts that I am testing.  the hosts.cfg
>> for this looks like this:
>>
>> page Web_Sites "Web Sites"
>> group-only http|info|trends
>> WWW.XXX.YYY.ZZZ  site1.org    # noconn  http://site1.org/sitemap.xml
>> WWW.XXX.YYY.ZZZ  site2.com    # noconn http://site2.com/sitemap.xml
> *skip*
>> all of the sites but the first work.  I've tried, just for fun,
>> re-arranging the order of the sites... No change.
>>
>> I notice the XYMONNETSVCS set is : smtp telnet ftp pop pop3 pop-3 ssh imap
>> ssh1 ssh2 imap2 imap3 imap4 pop2 pop-2 nntp ftps telnets smtps submission
>> msa pop3s imaps nntps ldap
>> ldaps rsync bbd clamd spamd svn oratns qmtp qmqp amqp amqps vnc cupsd
>> ajp13 rdp netbios-ssn snpp ircd lpd
>>
>> There doesn't seem to be any http test defined.
>>
>> The apache logs for the failing site show no access to sitemap.xml
>>
>> Anyone have any thoughts?
>
> Hi,
>
> 'http' as a test shouldn't need to be listed in XYMONNETSVCS explicitly
> since it's handled by its own conversation mechanism, and a problem there
> would end up affecting all 'http' tests, not just that one.
>
> If it's following the hosts.cfg entry around, it's probably xymonnet
> really seeing it as in bad state.
>
> - What's the error message given in the http test for the one that's failing?
>
> - Can you get to the site using wget from your monitor server? Ruled out
> network/DNS?
>
> - Are you using SNI on this server, or is there anything distinct about
> that one vhost? Try toggling --sni/--no-sni
>
> - Try running xymonnet in debug mode (just that one host) and see what it
> gives you:
>
> xymoncmd xymonnet --debug  --ping --checkresponse --test-untagged site.org
>

> HTH,
>
> -jc
Thanks for the tip!  I was trying to run the debug mode and failing
miserably.

what I found was that I had an earlier entry for site1.org... without
the http test.  That entry took precedence over the "Web Sites" entry...
Oddly, there are actually other tests specified under web sites and they
executed.  It's like that entry was partially de-duplicated and http
skipped.