[Xymon] suppress log contents from 'msgs' column ?

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Wed May 13 19:07:45 CEST 2015

On 5/13/2015 8:48 AM, Mark Felder wrote:

> On Wed, May 13, 2015, at 11:43, John Thurston wrote:
>> In testing 4.3.20, I've noticed that the 'msgs' column (for hosts
>> running the xymon solaris client) contain lines from my logs even when
>> they are reporting 'green'. I don't really want the contents of
>> /var/adm/messages leaked to every viewer of my Xymon web interface.
- snip -
> Is your Xymon server open to the public internet? :-)

No, but my xymon server is available to anyone on my network and handles
messages from clients in several departments. I don't see any reason or
value in publishing my /var/adm/messages (or spilling my process list)
for everyone to read.

> cpu: I think it's useful to capture those moments in time especially
> when you want to see what changed between green and red.

Where is the value is continually spilling the process list when it is
green? When there is an alarm, I can begin to see the value. But not on
a day-to-day, always-green, basis.

The client normally only reports on a 5-minute interval. When it reports
'red' on 'cpu', is there really any value in knowing what it was idling
on five minutes earlier? At best I'm going to care what is sucking the
resources right now. In most cases, though, I don't even care about
that. In the event of a 'red' notice, I go directly to the host and use
my system tools to determine what is wrong.

> logs: I agree; it's a waste to capture/display the contents if you're
> not matching anything

Are you aware of any way to suppress this display? I'd like to stop it.

I can switch to a different client, or suppress more columns, but I'd
like to find a more elegant way to reach the goal.

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Enterprise Technology Services
Department of Administration