[Xymon] change alert email text?

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Mon May 4 18:08:48 CEST 2015

On 5/4/2015 6:54 AM, William Sanders wrote:
> I'm wondering if there is a quick answer on how to change the email alert text that Xymon generates.
>
> Specifically it is required that I remove the IP address from the email.
>
> Example:
> ---
> red  Fri Apr  3 17:54:18 2015 conn NOT ok
>
> Service conn on 4ai1gub4x9 is not OK : Host does not respond to ping
> System unreachable for 223 poll periods (7274 seconds)
> &red 10.0.0.10 is unreachable
- snip -
> I can list the IPs in the hosts.cfg (will have to actually, since no DNS server is available), but before I'll be allowed to submit Xymon to our security office for testing/approval to be added to our network management has tasked me with removing the IPs from the emails.

I think you will find that the text of the mail message is just the
contents of the message as was generated by xymonnet in response to the
failure. Look at:
/xymon-cgi/svcstatus.sh?HOST=4ai1gub4x9.foo.com&SERVICE=conn

I think you'll have to write your own email generator if you want to
send something else. It could be as simple as a filter which grep'd out
ip addresses.

<un-solicited opinion>
The members of your security office are being simple-minded drones.
"OMG, it contains an ip address, it must be stopped!"

To whom are you sending these messages? Presumably they will be sent to
someone who cares and who can do something to correct the problem. In
both of these cases, the IP address of the system should already be
known. If you are sending messages of this sort to someone who doesn't
care or who can't affect a resolution, the messages are spam and should
not be sent.
</on-solicited opinion>

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov