[Xymon] Dependencies for xymond and xymonnet (with particular reference to JC's terabithia.org RPMs)

me at tdiehl.org me at tdiehl.org
Thu Mar 19 21:58:19 CET 2015

On Thu, 12 Mar 2015, J.C. Cleaver wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Yes, in a case such as yours the main xymon server RPM is going to pull in
> a few things that you don't need. Primarily, it's httpd (and whatever
> httpd pulls in, such as apr and whatnot) and rrdtool (and cairo, some
> display libs).
>
> The reason httpd is a hard dependency is that some things are configured
> to be owned by the apache user, and the xymon.conf apache snippet is
> dropped in the directory.
>
> It should be safe to install xymon with --nodeps to bypass those two
> packages, although you'll get some complaints as it installs. Assuming
> you're running ping checks, you'll want to manually pull in 'fping'. You
> can ignore net-snmp-libs if you're not going to be using
> xymon-snmpcollect.
>
> The semanage stuff from policycoreutils-python is SELinux. Aside from the
> error output, it should be safe to ignore that as well.
>

> Alas, you're correct in that yum will attempt to continue to pull in
> dependencies when they're available, so you'll continue to get these
> warnings.
>

> I'd given consideration to splitting things out into xymon-xymonnet,
> xymon-proxy, xymon-server, xymon-xymongen and the like (in fact, a really,
> really old version of the RPM did just that), but it really felt like more
> complexity (and effort) than it was worth, especially since the upstream
> had had unified things together.
>
> If there's enough demand, I'm open to creating sub-packages for it. But it
> does rather significantly increase complexity for people doing installs
> since they have to think of the different components coming in. The flip
> side is that for cases such as yours, or in micro-sized cloud/container
> environments, you can install the base RPM and avoid bringing in other
> dependencies.

If you decide to split things, would it be possible to create an rpm that
pulls in as deps all of the pieces so that the people who need what is contained
in the current rpms still get a complete installation?

Something similar to the following is what I am thinking about:

(shadow pts8) # rpm -qi srvadmin-all
Name        : srvadmin-all
Version     : 7.4.0
Release     : 4.1.1.el6
Architecture: x86_64
Install Date: Wed 28 Jan 2015 04:26:54 PM EST
Group       : System/Configuration/Hardware
Size        : 9
License     : Proprietary
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Wed 13 Mar 2013 03:01:09 AM EDT, Key ID ca77951d23b66a9d
Source RPM  : srvadmin-7.4.0-4.1.1.el6.src.rpm
Build Date  : Wed 13 Mar 2013 03:01:00 AM EDT
Build Host  : OMLOBSWV87
Relocations : (not relocatable)
Vendor      : Dell Inc
URL         : http://support.dell.com
Summary     : Meta package for installing all Server Administrator features, 7.4.0
Description :
Meta package that contains dependency information to automatically pull
in all base and optional Server Administrator Features.
(shadow pts8) #

Tom			me at tdiehl.org		Spamtrap address	 		me123 at tdiehl.org