[Xymon] Dependencies for xymond and xymonnet (with particular reference to JC's terabithia.org RPMs)

SebA spah at syntec.co.uk
Thu Mar 12 19:28:49 CET 2015

Hi JC,

This may be off-topic for everyone else as I'm talking about an unofficial
RPM (I know), but just to get this into the mailing list archive...

I want to install xymon server on a system, but it will be forwarding its
results to another xymon server and therefore I have no need for web pages,
RRD files, etc.  In fact, I think I only need xymond, xymonnet and an add-on
monitor.  (Plus xymon-client.)  When I try and install your RPM, it wants to
install all sorts of things I don't want like apache and libX11 (see below).

Installing:
 xymon
Installing for dependencies:
 apr
 apr-util
 apr-util-ldap
 audit-libs-python
 cairo
 dejavu-fonts-common
 dejavu-lgc-sans-mono-fonts
 dejavu-sans-mono-fonts
 fontconfig
 fontpackages-filesystem
 fping
 freetype
 httpd
 httpd-tools
 libX11
 libX11-common
 libXau
 libXft
 libXrender
 libcgroup
 libselinux-python
 libsemanage-python
 libthai
 libxcb
 mailcap
 net-snmp-libs
 pango
 pixman
 policycoreutils-python
 rrdtool
 setools-libs
 setools-libs-python

Transaction Summary
=============================
Install      33 Package(s)

How should I do a minimal install?  (I have your repo mirrored, but you
can't exclude dependencies with yum AFAIK.)  I just did a:

# sudo rpm -i fping-3.10-2.el6.x86_64.rpm
<no errors>
# sudo rpm -i --nodeps xymon-4.3.18-1.el6.x86_64.rpm
<output below>
warning: user apache does not exist - using root
warning: group apache does not exist - using root
warning: user apache does not exist - using root
warning: group apache does not exist - using root
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.5gv8Df: line 30: /usr/sbin/semanage: No such file or
directory
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.5gv8Df: line 31: /usr/sbin/semanage: No such file or
directory
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.5gv8Df: line 32: /usr/sbin/semanage: No such file or
directory
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.5gv8Df: line 33: /usr/sbin/semanage: No such file or
directory
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.5gv8Df: line 34: /usr/sbin/semanage: No such file or
directory
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.5gv8Df: line 35: /usr/sbin/semanage: No such file or
directory
/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.5gv8Df: line 36: /usr/sbin/semanage: No such file or
directory

Realizing that I probably needed /usr/sbin/semanage at least, I did:

# sudo rpm -e xymon
warning: /etc/xymon/hosts.cfg saved as /etc/xymon/hosts.cfg.rpmsave
# sudo rm -fR /etc/xymon
# sudo yum install setools-libs-python
# sudo yum install policycoreutils-python

And what the heck, it's just one package that I may use and xymon wants it
directly, rather than a dependency of a dependency, so:
# sudo yum install net-snmp-libs

# sudo rpm -i --nodeps xymon-4.3.18-1.el6.x86_64.rpm
warning: user apache does not exist - using root
warning: group apache does not exist - using root
warning: user apache does not exist - using root
warning: group apache does not exist - using root

Should I have any problems that you foresee?

Thanks and kind regards,

SebA