[Xymon] Xymon / Devmon Graphs only on trends

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Thu Mar 12 07:40:28 CET 2015

On 12 March 2015 at 16:32, Brandon Dale <BDale at kitchengroup.com.au> wrote:

>    It shouldn't be difficult to do this.  Xymon has special parsing code
> for Devmon status messages.
>

> I couldn’t get this to work with the battery,power and powerin test for
> that ups template. I found this where someone had the same issue:
> http://lists.xymon.com/pipermail/xymon/2011-April/031424.html

Yeuch, that's an ugly hack.

There's special parsing code within Xymon that looks in status messages for
the string "<!--DEVMON" (10 chars, no space) and I think this triggers it
to look for a graph to display.

Elsewhere, there's a match against "<!--DEVMON RRD: " (16 chars) that
appears to be for remapping the test name to an RRD base filename.

It could be that including one or both of these in your "message" file will
give Xymon the hint that you want the graph displayed.

Actually, I think it's the first.  This is parsed in lib/htmllog.c.  The
logic goes like this:

if a test has a graph
  then if a test starts with "devmon"
    assume that it has no graph
    if the status message has <!--DEVMON
      then assume that it has a graph

So the "devmon=xyz" form causes the code to assume there's no graph.  It's
only if there is a subsequent "<!--DEVMON" string that Xymon will expect a
graph.