[Xymon] xymon, xymon-rclient and md5sum checks

Root, Paul T Paul.Root at CenturyLink.com
Tue Jun 9 21:49:34 CEST 2015

This issue is actually what shell you are running, not the OS.

The default shell for root in Solaris is sh, that can't handle the test.
But the default shell for root in Linux is bash.

-----Original Message-----
From: Xymon [mailto:xymon-bounces at xymon.com] On Behalf Of oliver
Sent: Tuesday, June 09, 2015 2:25 PM
To: Xymon at xymon.com
Subject: Re: [Xymon] xymon, xymon-rclient and md5sum checks

On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 10:10 PM, Jeremy Laidman
<jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au> wrote:
> No, it's not using "stat".  Instead, it's using a series of shell commands,
> and in some cases (such as for the "*time" and "group" lines) a bit of perl.
> If you're interested, you can check how it's all done in the
> send_logfetch_file() function (from line 323).  This function essentially
> creates a sequence of commands that get sent to the shell on the remote
> client.
>
> I have no idea why it's not working for Solaris.  But I can confirm that
> it's not working for my Solaris boxes also.  This means I can do some
> testing here and (I hope) come up with a fix.  Sorry I can't offer any more
> at this stage.

I think I see the problem.

Line 310:
echo "if [ \"$FILENAME\" -a -e \"$FILENAME\" ]; then"

If I construct a similar command on a linux box, I get this:
$ [ /etc/sudoers -a -e /etc/sudoers ] && echo hello
hello

but on Solaris, I get this:
$ [ /etc/sudoers -a -e /etc/sudoers ] && echo hello
test: argument expected

I guess you could drop the -e and it will still work for both
linux/solaris or add another 'if' statement.... something like this
(but I'm not sure if this is the best way:)

        if [ "$OSTYPE" = "sunos" ] || [ "$SCRIPTOS" = "sunos" ]; then
          echo "if [ \"$FILENAME\" -a \"$FILENAME\" ]; then"
        else
          echo "if [ \"$FILENAME\" -a -e \"$FILENAME\" ]; then"
        fi

Either way, it's working for me now using the 'if' method - but
Solaris and Linux is all I have.  If there's a better way to do it,
please let me know.