[Xymon] Xymon graphing from devmon - different template, same check name

Steve B rectifier at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 13:30:26 CEST 2015

Hi,

I would have perhaps asked in the Devmon mailing list but my question is
quite pertinent to Xymon too and this mailing list is a little more active
with many using Devmon.

I have a check, it's called temp.

I have a Devmon template for an IBM UPS device and I have a template for an
IBM PDU device.  Both have a temp check for reading temperature and
humidity.

The IBM UPS template has existed for a while and has been displaying temp
graphs. I have temp=ncv, temp in GRAPHS and an entry in graphs.cfg and
xymonserver.cfg.

What happens when you introduce a temp check to a new device that has a
different template?  Do you have to create an extra line in
graphs.cfg/Xymonserver.cfg?  Is it the same name?

ie do I have to use

NCV_temp=temperature:GAUGE (temperature being what is parsed from message
file of template)
for template 1 (IBM UPS)

and

NCV_temp=pdutemperature:GAUGE (pdutemperature being what is parsed from
message file of template)
for template 2 (IBM PDU)

OR

Do I have to use a different check/column name for each use of temperature
per device? I might use Devmon for temperature/Humidity readings on a UPS
device, or a PDU, or a server, or a network device and the templates I use
in Devmon will be completely different.  In which case I would have to use
temppdu for example in xymonserver.cfg/Graphs.cfg alongside the existing
temp

Hopefully my question is clear,

thanks

Steve