[Xymon] Alternate log monitor?

Larry Bonham larry at fni-stl.com
Wed Jun 3 21:31:00 CEST 2015

-----Original Message-----
From: Andy Smith [mailto:abs at shadymint.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 03, 2015 1:48 PM
To: Larry Bonham
Cc: xymon at xymon.com
Subject: Re: [Xymon] Alternate log monitor?

Larry Bonham wrote:

> Has anyone successfully integrated a different log monitor into xymon?
> The internal msgs monitor works fine for /var/log/messages or any other
> system log where a similar notification is used for each system (in our
> case the systems group).
>

> But I have a need to monitor multiple Apache logs on various systems
> where a different user group would be notified if any yellow or red
> alerts were created.  I don't see a way to do that and have
> /var/log/messages alerts going somewhere else for the same system.
>

> Running 4.3.18 on RHEL 6.6
>

> swatch maybe?  Everything I'm finding is either too simplistic or way
> overkill for what I need.  The lighter the footprint the better.
>

> Thanks.

> Larry D. Bonham

Hi, like you, we found the internal msgs tool is perfectly adequate in
terms of functionality, but does not lend itself well to notifying
different groups unless you are relying on email notification, in which
case you can define a GROUP rule in alert.cfg/analysis.cfg.  In our
place, we do not use email, instead, we have a 24x7 operations team
viewing the critical page, managing the incidents in real time, so we
needed different column names to be able to identify the requirements in
critical.cfg.  I wrote this simple script to direct a given log analysis
to a given column name, it may work for you :-

https://wiki.xymonton.org/doku.php/monitors:msgs

When we have need for more sophisticated log monitoring and we use SEC
(http://simple-evcorr.sourceforge.net/) which is extremely powerful, we
employ just a fraction of its potential.  We have a perl module that
goes with SEC so that SEC delivers status messages to Xymon in exactly
the same way as the internal msgs tool.
--
Andy

Andy,

I appreciate the response.  I should have mentioned I already tried your msgs.sh add on.  Only problem is the original output stays in MSGS as well as getting copied to the alternate test name.  We don't want the normal alerts going out to MSGS owners.  Just to the owners of the alternate test name.

Unless I missed something in setting it up, I wasn't able to do that.  I could do special notification on the alternate test but could not differentiate those in the normal test.

Please let me know if I'm misunderstanding something there (e.g. possible GROUP usage).  Wouldn't be the first time.

I have used SEC in the past with snmp trap translation.  That is one of those overkill solutions I mentioned.  I'm sure it would work but I wanted to keep the solution as simple as possible for support purposes down the road.  I was really hoping to accomplish this all within xymon itself if possible.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Larry

________________________________

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This electronic mail message is intended exclusively for
recipient to which it is addressed. The contents of this message
and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged
information. Any unauthorized review, use, print, storage, copy,
disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this message in error, please advise the sender
immediately by replying to the message's sender and delete all
copies of this message and its attachments without disclosing
the contents to anyone, or using the contents for any purpose.