[Xymon] Two basic questions

Michael Short mshort at corelogic.com
Thu Jul 16 23:56:01 CEST 2015

Hello All,

I'm a new subscriber, moving from an old BB setup to Xymon. I had two questions that I hadn't been able to find the answer to.

1)  How do you setup an external script to run only on certain hosts?  I didn't see anything like the bb-bbexttab file.  It seems if a script isn't present in the $XYMHOME/ext/ directory, it can't run.  But that's not as clean a solution; makes it had to have one set of files to push to all clients.  So what's the preferred method?

2) How do you read system logfiles on Linux hosts, when the files are root-only and the monitoring runs as user xymon?  This is for Red Hat systems, where things like /var/log/messages are perm 700. I could set the perms to 744, but that's likely to get changed back when the logs rotate or the systems is patched.  Do you run Xymon as root user on Linux systems? I didn't think so, or the install instructions wouldn't have you create a xymon user and group. So is there a better way?

Thanks in advance for your help.

This message may contain confidential or proprietary information intended only for the use of the
addressee(s) named above or may contain information that is legally privileged. If you are
not the intended addressee, or the person responsible for delivering it to the intended addressee,
you are hereby notified that reading, disseminating, distributing or copying this message is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this message by mistake, please immediately notify us by
replying to the message and delete the original message and any copies immediately thereafter.

Thank you.