[Xymon] CLIENTHOSTNAME and hosts that use FQHNs as their hostname

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Thu Jul 2 05:09:11 CEST 2015

On 23 June 2015 at 00:44, Greg Earle <earle at isolar.dyndns.org> wrote:

> But the rest of their systems (all but one) are CentOS 5.8-5.11 and with
> xymon-client-4.3.17-1.el5.centos RPMs installed, enabling CLIENTHOSTNAME
> in "/etc/sysconfig/xymon-client" apparently has no effect.  They all
> show up as Ghost Clients.

Maybe try adding into /etc/default/xymon-client or /etc/default/xymon?
Some systems use a different location for this file.  I think it's defined
in the xymonclient.cfg file, like so:

include /etc/sysconfig/xymon-client

Maybe check if the environment is actually being set as you expect:

$ strings /proc/`pgrep -f sh.*vmstat`/environ|egrep "HOST|MACHINE"

This will search the environment for the vmstat command run by the Xymon
client.

>From what I can tell, CLIENTHOSTNAME is used, if defined.  The RHEL
(CentOS) init script looks for CLIENTHOSTNAME being defined, and if so,
appends "--hostname=<whatever>" to the command-line of runclient.sh.  This
script looks for --hostname and uses the value to defnine the env var
MACHINEDOTS=<whatever> and also use it to define MACHINE (with commas
instead of dots).  If this all works as it should, then when running
"service start xymon-client" you should see "Xymon client for Linux started
on <whatever>" and the PID file should be called
clientlaunch.<whatever>.pid (where <whatever> is what you specify in
CLIENTHOSTNAME).

Cheers
Jeremy