[Xymon] Truncated Email Alerts

Bert Willekens bert.willekens at medialaan.be
Fri Jan 16 18:06:24 CET 2015

Hi

We're formatting a few status messages as HTML and we are using the perl HTML script from Andy France/Martin Ward/David Baldwin.
Our mails kept getting truncated at around 4000 characters.

After looking around in the source code (do_alert.c) I found out that the variable passed to the SCRIPT alert type is limited to 4096 characters.
I increased the value to 12288 and recompiled the xymond_alert binary. After replacing it in our production system the script now receives the complete status message.

Why can we configure the MAXMSG size for status messages but is the status truncated to 4KB?
I'm wondering if there's any harm in upping the MAX_ALERTMSG_SCRIPTS value. Memory? Stabililty?

Thanks

MEDIALAAN Disclaimer<http://medialaan.be/email>