[Xymon] rrd logs and graphs

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Wed Feb 25 11:06:57 CET 2015

On 25 February 2015 at 19:16, Vernon Everett <everett.vernon at gmail.com>
wrote:

> These hosts all have nothing at all to do with the storage arrays being
> monitored, which makes me think the client data might be a red herring.

Yup, makes sense.

My best guess is memory corruption within xymond.  So let's see if the
corruption is visible in the messages being passed between xymond and
xymond_channel.  If we see corrupt messages in there, we can start to delve
into the source code to see if there's a bug somewhere.  Are you able to
run your own instance of xymond_channel?  Maybe something like this:

sudo -u xymon xymoncmd xymond_channel --channel=data --filter=zmem cat

One you get an idea what it looks like, change "cat" for something like
"egrep -A5 ^@" to get only the first 5 lines.  Also, redirect to a file
until you notice a dodgy RRD file and then kill the process.

Did you try running xymond with "--dbghost=HOSTNAME" ?  It might be too
voluminous, but might be worth a try, if you can manage to snag the traffic
at the right time.