[Xymon] 4.3.18 install issues. /home/xymon permissions, missing FollowSymLinks

Novosielski, Ryan novosirj at ca.rutgers.edu
Fri Feb 20 23:56:59 CET 2015

I use and recommend the Terebithia RPMs. Building from source doesn't buy you anything for the client, IMO.

____ *Note: UMDNJ is now Rutgers-Biomedical and Health Sciences*
|| \\UTGERS      |---------------------*O*---------------------
||_// Biomedical | Ryan Novosielski - Senior Technologist
|| \\ and Health | novosirj at rutgers.edu<mailto:novosirj at rutgers.edu>- 973/972.0922 (2x0922)
||  \\  Sciences | OIRT/High Perf & Res Comp - MSB C630, Newark
    `'

On Feb 20, 2015, at 16:44, Andrew Rakowski <landrew at pnnl.gov<mailto:landrew at pnnl.gov>> wrote:

On Fri, 20 Feb 2015, J.C. Cleaver wrote (in part):

Secondly, I needed to add "FollowSymLinks" to the cgi options sections in
the apache config file for xymon before any of the scripts would work.
Once that was in place, and Apache restarted, we seemed to have a working
xymon install.

Odd. FollowSymLinks should already be present in the config files for
4.3.18. Which stanza did you need to add it to?

My apologies on this false alarm / operator error / PEBKAC incident.

It was MY mistake - I appear to have copied the example
xymon-apacheconf.txt file to /etc/httpd/conf.d/xymon-apache.conf file.  I
noticed it needed editing to use the right path, but thought that was an
oversight in the config/make during build/install, and fixed it manually.

If I had actually *read* the install instructions, it says to link the
/home/xymon/server/etc/xymon-apache.conf file into the apache conf.d
directory, which would have worked fine, and DOES have the proper
FollowSymLinks options in place, as well as correct paths for the install.

When making a tarball to copy onto other systems, it's better to do a
./configure --client since you'll end up pulling in slightly lighter
binaries, however the ones produced by the server config should still
work.

Thanks, I'll do new client builds on other systems for the appropriate OS
releases and architectures.

I'm actually tempted to just use your Terabithia.org<http://Terabithia.org> RPMs for the clients.
It's nice to have a package install, as we're all used to doing an "rpm
-qa | grep XXX" in the RedHat world to see if package XXX is installed.

-Andrew

ps: I blame Thursdays for the problem - I never could get the hang of
    Thursdays.