[Xymon] 4.3.18 install issues. /home/xymon permissions, missing FollowSymLinks

Andrew Rakowski landrew at pnnl.gov
Fri Feb 20 18:26:22 CET 2015

FYI, I installed xymon-4.3.18 from scratch last week, and ran into a
couple of problems.  The system I installed on is running RedHat
Enterprise Linux v5.11, and I used almost all default answers in the
Configure setup (changed location of man pages to /usr/local/share/man
from /usr/local/man, if I recall.)

First was that I installed xymon into its own home directory
(/home/xymon), and I needed to change directory permissions so the web
server (running as login 'apache') could see any of the xymon directory.
By default, home directories are set to mode 700 (user only.)

I added group read and execute permissions and added user 'apache' to the
'xymon' group, although I'm not sure if this exposes more than should be
exposed.  I also added user 'xymon' to the 'apache' group when I created
the login.

Secondly, I needed to add "FollowSymLinks" to the cgi options sections in
the apache config file for xymon before any of the scripts would work.
Once that was in place, and Apache restarted, we seemed to have a working
xymon install.

I'm assuming when doing a "./configure --server" I'm also configuring the
client (as it's now running on the server.)  Can I just grab a tarball of
the /home/xymon/client directory and use it for client installations on
the same architecture systems, or do I need to run a separate configure
and build for "--client"?

-Andrew