[Xymon] DRBD monitoring

Mon Feb 9 14:13:11 CET 2015

On 9/02/2015 23:50, SebA wrote:
> Hi Adam,
> We are using Cambridge University's DRBD Xymon script from here:
> http://www.ch.cam.ac.uk/computing/drbd-xymon-script
> It works well for status colours, but it does not do graphing as far
> as I know.
> Output is simple, like this:
>

>       Mon Feb 9 12:46:14 2015 - drbd OK
>
> version: 8.3.10 (api:88/proto:86-96)
> green  cluster_metadata [/dev/drbd0] is happy
> green  vg0_drbd [/dev/drbd1] is happy
While this script is probably very useful, it seems to make three calls
to the command drbdadm for each resource, while you could simply read
all of the information from /proc/drbd without a single external program
call. (would also mean you don't need sudo access).

> Which is probably just as well, as I wouldn't know what dw was!  What is it, and why should we be monitoring it?

dw is for Disk Write, dr is Disk Read, etc, these graphs can show you
how busy your DRBD devices are. Some of the other stats will show how
much data is sent/received to/from the DRBD peer, also, how often the
data is outside of the active DRBD area (which might assist with tuning
DRBD for better performance but increasing the size of the active area,
or splitting your DRBD into multiple parts), etc.

You can see the full meaning of each statistic at:
https://drbd.linbit.com/users-guide/ch-admin.html

Of course, I'm not trying to convince you that my script/work is any
better or more reliable than what you are using, I didn't know that
script even existed. I am hoping that either my script will be helpful
to somebody else, and/or that someone might find a problem or
improvement to my script and share that.

Regards,
Adam