[Xymon] Xymon notifcations disappear due to base64 encoding

Mark Felder feld at feld.me
Fri Feb 6 18:08:30 CET 2015

On Fri, Feb 6, 2015, at 10:26, Ribeiro, Glauber wrote:
> I'm not sure the problem is internally in xymon, but rather in the
> diversity of sources of the text that ends up in email bodies.

Internally Xymon is using \r (CR) in a lot of places. The info that is
put in alerts is fairly straightforward -- just pieced together from
various ENVs related to the event. As far as I can tell there is no data
sourced directly from the clients in the alerts unless you include
BBALPHAMSG in your alert message, which is going to be a huge amount of
information.

A simple sanitation routine in do_alert.c would probably take care of
this, but if we can remove the \r from being used internally the problem
should solve itself. I think a sanitation routine is probably more
treating the symptom and not the problem, as well as unlikely to solve
all possibilities of dangerous data which shouldn't be getting this far
in the first place.

> I think xymon should do some simple sanitization of alert texts (maybe a
> configuration item), to eliminate CRs (for benefit of email), but also
> characters that are not safe for HTML (for benefit of the browser). I
> wonder is a crafty person would be able to trick xymon into putting
> Javascript in an alert, by manipulating error messages.

If you use the full BBALPHAMSG in your alert message and the client
sends some nasty data I am certain it could do some unsavory things. I
also bet you could -- from a compromised client -- send a crafted alert
message to a new or existing column and attack the admin when he views
the alert in his browser. Your saving grace might be the fact that alert
messages are limited to 4096 bytes:

#define MAX_ALERTMSG_SCRIPTS 4096

Hopefully Xymon 5 brings us encrypted and authenticated transport
between the client and server as that will help prevent this type of
attack, as well as protect your sensitive info in transit :-)