[Xymon] Xymon notifcations disappear due to base64 encoding

Mark Felder feld at feld.me
Thu Feb 5 23:42:40 CET 2015

On Thu, Feb 5, 2015, at 11:47, Bill Arlofski wrote:
> On 02/05/2015 08:40 AM, Mark Felder wrote:
> > I warn you this (probably) isn't exactly what you're looking for, but
> > I've stopped using the SMS email gateways due to reliability issues and
> > when things are really going bad -- rate limiting. Instead I've moved to
> > sending my notifications through Pushover.net which sends (fast!!) push
> > notifications to phones.
> >
> > You can send messages two ways: their email gateway, or write a
> > notification script that uses their REST api. It's very simple. I wrote
> > this in a few minutes and haven't looked back.
>
> Hi Mark... Thanks for that recommendation re: pushover.net
>
> I have suffered for _years_ with the AT&T (now Frontier) email-to-sms
> gateway.
> Using the AT&T email gateway, Xymon notifications get mixed in with other
> txt
> messages because each message sent via their gateway is
>
> From: ${SomeEverIncreasingNumber}
>
> So I can not set a filter on a phone number, or username and have a
> different
> notification tone for Xymon messages.
>
> Pushover currently has a limited number of notification tones, but that
> is OK
> because I can have my xymon alert tell Pushover which to send so I can
> always
> know if I got a txt or a Xymon alert now.
>
> Still waiting on my first Xymon->Pushover alert, but this looks promising
> me and my sanity.  lol

It's cheap, too. If you go over your free 7500 messages per month you
can buy more -- and it will only pull from that pool if you go over your
limit each month. The extra messages you buy don't ever expire.

FYI my alerts.cfg looks like this:

$ALERT_ME=    SCRIPT  /scripts/xymon-pushover.sh pushover REPEAT=1h
FORMAT=SCRIPT

Due to the fact that a SCRIPT needs an argument, I give it "pushover"
even though it does nothing. I think that value is only used in the INFO
page under "recipient". You could go crazy and set recipients to human
readable names that are mapped to different USERKEY values if you
wanted.

Btw, if you go over your 7500 messages per month I pity your sanity, or
you must have a very large environment and lots of techs on-call. :-)