[Xymon] deleted test purple status

Walter Rutherford wlrutherford at alaska.edu
Wed Dec 9 01:42:33 CET 2015

Hello,

I ended up with two ssh tests in my xymon main page: ssh and ssh2. This
isn't a big problem except it's redundant. What I *really* wanted was to
test
that ssh2 is running but ssh1 is not. I think that's accomplished with a
combo
test but I haven't configured one of those yet.

But in the meantime when I got rid of ssh from the hosts.cfg file and ran:
<PATH>/xymon 127.0.0.1 "drop HOSTNAME ssh"

I got a full purple ssh column. I found the hist and histlogs directories with
many ssh subdirectories (which I thought the 'drop' should've cleared) and
recursively removed all of the ssh directories. Still as purple as Barney.

I know I've handled this problem a lifetime ago while using BigBrother,
and what I did today feels familiar, but I'm missing something.

I finally had to put ssh back into the hosts.cfg file when management
noticed all the purple indicators and got a bit anxious.

What did I do wrong?

  Walter R.