[Xymon] layout of terabithia xymon client

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Tue Dec 8 22:21:09 CET 2015

On Tue, December 8, 2015 12:39 pm, Root, Paul T wrote:
> I've recently inherited supporting a xymon network where the old admin use
> the terabithia rpms.
>
> I've spent most of the day looking for a particular test for a particular
> client. I finally found the script  in /usr/share/xymon-client/sections
> directory.
>
> I can't find where that gets called from? Is this a normal terabithia
> layout? Where does it get invoked?

Hi,

Yes, that's part of the normal layout in the RPMs:
[root at localhost /]# rpm -qa xymon | xargs -r rpm -ql | grep /sections
/usr/share/xymon-client/sections
/usr/share/xymon-client/sections/README
/usr/share/xymon-client/sections/ipcs
etc..

It's analogous to the "/local" directory
(https://sourceforge.net/p/xymon/code/6800/) in that it's called by the
xymonclient.sh script after the standard ${OS} processing is done, but
before the final logfetch stuff is completed.

It's intended as a spot for drop-in additions to the clientlog data going
back without having to modify xymonclient.sh itself.

The only difference between "/local/" and "/sections/" is that executables
in /local/ come back in "[local:NAME]" client sections, and /sections/
ones are just "[NAME]"

The intent is that packagers (for distros or for add-ons) can place things
into "/sections/", while custom per-host stuff goes into "/local/" and
they don't conflict. (Sort of like the vendordir/sitedir/localdir
distinction for some language plugins.)

There are copies of the README in /usr/share/doc/xymon-client*/ also.

"/sections/" was a Terabithia add, but it'll be in 4.4 too:
https://sourceforge.net/p/xymon/code/7755/

HTH,

-jc