[Xymon] analysis of process state with xymon client

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Mon Aug 31 04:50:32 CEST 2015

I don't believe there's an out-of-the-box way to do that, but it should be
possible with a client-side script.

One neat feature of the analysis.cfg file is the ability to "adjust" the
status of a test based on an RRD value.  The "DS" construct allows you to
change the text and colour of any dot based on the values in an RRD file,
relative to defined thresholds.  The key point here is that you're tweaking
the status of the message before it's injected into xymond.  If you attempt
to do such a tweak outside of this process, you're likely to end up with a
flapping status whenever the status of the extra test disagrees with that
of the primary test.

Typically, you would avoid such flapping by reporting the extra test status
to a new column.  But perhaps you could find a way to create an RRD file
that lists the number of "defunct" (or anything not "running") processes,
and then create a "DS" entry in analysis.cfg that changes "proc" to red if
the value is greater than 0.

Cheers
Jeremy