[Xymon] "msgs" alerts, sending 10240 bytes and line-buffering

Fri Aug 28 03:10:11 CEST 2015

On 28/08/15 10:00, Greg Earle wrote:

>>> Thanks Jeremy, where in the logs exactly?  Do I grep for "clipped"?  :-)

>>> Excellent idea - hadn't thought of th... wait, hang on.  The only place I
>>> have a "client-local.cfg" file is on my *server*, not on any of my clients.
>> Ummm, actually this file is only supposed to exist on the server, and
>> when the client connects to report the status, it will also download a
>> copy of it's (section) of the file and apply that for future status updates.
>>
>> Note: I forget the details, but it can take 15 minutes (3 cycles) before
>> you will see the changes applied/working.
> Thanks for clarifying that, Adam.  I removed the client-side "client-local.cfg"
> file and made the suggested changes on the server-side.  The incidents of
> "clipped" messages file text causing red alert triggers have lessened, but I'm
> not sure they've stopped entirely.
>
> Do I need to restart all of my Solaris clients to pick up this (server-side)
> change?  (viz. "it will also download a copy of it's (section) of the file
> and apply that for future status updates")

No need to restart the client, but you will need to ensure the section
you added it to will apply to all the clients you are expecting. Since
the server only returns the relevant section to the client, who might be
using a different section compared to what you expected..... It should
take between 10 minutes and 30 minutes for the change to be applied, if
it is taking longer, then something is wrong with the config.

Regards,
Adam

--
Adam Goryachev Website Managers www.websitemanagers.com.au