[Xymon] "msgs" alerts, sending 10240 bytes and line-buffering

Greg Earle earle at isolar.DynDNS.ORG
Fri Aug 28 02:00:42 CEST 2015

> On Aug 25, 2015, at 21:05 PM, Adam Goryachev wrote:
>
> On 25/08/15 20:35, Greg Earle wrote:
>>> On Aug 25, 2015, at 1:13 PM, Jeremy Laidman wrote:
>>>
>>> You might be right that the message is being clipped.  If so, you should
>>> see Xymon log messages to that effect.
>>>
>> Thanks Jeremy, where in the logs exactly?  Do I grep for "clipped"?  :-)
>>
>>> Perhaps add the IGNORE clause to the client-local.cfg message instead.
>>> This will cause the messages to be dropped at the client side.  Not only
>>> can you forget about these messages on the Xymon server, but also you're
>>> less likely to have a clipped message.  Like so:
>>>
>>> [sunos]
>>> log:/var/adm/messages:10240
>>> ignore refused connect from itsecurity-scanner.my.do.main
>>>
>> Excellent idea - hadn't thought of th... wait, hang on.  The only place I
>> have a "client-local.cfg" file is on my *server*, not on any of my clients.
>
> Ummm, actually this file is only supposed to exist on the server, and
> when the client connects to report the status, it will also download a
> copy of it's (section) of the file and apply that for future status updates.
>
> Note: I forget the details, but it can take 15 minutes (3 cycles) before
> you will see the changes applied/working.

Thanks for clarifying that, Adam.  I removed the client-side "client-local.cfg"
file and made the suggested changes on the server-side.  The incidents of
"clipped" messages file text causing red alert triggers have lessened, but I'm
not sure they've stopped entirely.

Do I need to restart all of my Solaris clients to pick up this (server-side)
change?  (viz. "it will also download a copy of it's (section) of the file
and apply that for future status updates")

	- Greg