[Xymon] Thoughts on Usefulness/Reliability of Purple Alerts

john.r.rothlisberger at accenture.com john.r.rothlisberger at accenture.com
Wed Aug 26 15:20:01 CEST 2015

My 2 cents…

As you already know, purple alerts may or may not indicate a real issue from the perspective of the client server fulfilling its intended role.  Example: you are monitoring a webserver, the client service terminates, the tests go purple – YET the website continues to function.

Then there are those occasions where a server hangs but still responds to a ping.

There is one other occasion when some of the tests go purple but not all and that is usually when the eventlogs fill the data file.  This results in tests such as procs, svcs, who, etc going purple.

My solution has been to send alerts only when the disk test has gone purple.  This reduces the number of purple alerts being sent out and also limits those alerts  to a single alert per client.

Thanks,
John
Upcoming PTO: 8/19-21 & 8/24, 8/28, 9/21-9/29
John Rothlisberger
IT Strategy, Infrastructure & Security - Technology Growth Platform
TGP for Business Process Outsourcing
Accenture
312.693.3136 office