[Xymon] xymon-snmpcollect - state ? xymond_channel worker needed for trending ?

Steve steve at nerdynomads.net
Thu Apr 16 16:03:29 CEST 2015

Sorry for the formatting..  trying to figure out how to set my mail client to reply/quote in a manner that makes sense.

> On Apr 16th 2016, Jeremy Laidman <jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au> wrote:

Sure, happy to share, but it is lengthy so I will only share two ports. Also, I changed it a bit to go by port# versus portDescription.

[ifmib]
Interval=60
ActiveIP=192.168.11.121
<2>
	ifDescr = port 2: Gigabit Copper
	ifType = ethernetCsmacd
	ifMtu = 1500
	ifSpeed = 0
	ifPhysAddress = c0:4a:0:be:4d:a9
	ifAdminStatus = up
	ifOperStatus = down
	ifLastChange = 0:0:00:00.00
	ifInOctets = 0
	ifInUcastPkts = 0
	ifInNUcastPkts = 0
	ifInDiscards = 0
	ifInErrors = 0
	ifInUnknownProtos = 0
	ifOutOctets = 0
	ifOutUcastPkts = 0
	ifOutNUcastPkts = 0
	ifOutDiscards = 0
	ifOutErrors = 0
	ifOutQLen = 0
	ifName = port 2: Gigabit Copper
	ifInMulticastPkts = 0
	ifInBroadcastPkts = 0
	ifOutMulticastPkts = 0
	ifOutBroadcastPkts = 0
	ifHCInOctets = 0
	ifHCInUcastPkts = 0
	ifHCInMulticastPkts = 0
	ifHCInBroadcastPkts = 0
	ifHCOutOctets = 0
	ifHCOutUcastPkts = 0
	ifHCOutMulticastPkts = 0
	ifHCOutBroadcastPkts = 0
	ifLinkUpDownTrapEnable = enabled
	ifHighSpeed = 0
	ifPromiscuousMode = false
	ifConnectorPresent = true
	ifAlias = norm
	ifCounterDiscontinuityTime = 0:0:00:00.00
<1>
	ifDescr = port 1: Gigabit Copper
	ifType = ethernetCsmacd
	ifMtu = 1500
	ifSpeed = 0
	ifPhysAddress = c0:4a:0:be:4d:a9
	ifAdminStatus = up
	ifOperStatus = down
	ifLastChange = 0:0:00:00.00
	ifInOctets = 0
	ifInUcastPkts = 0
	ifInNUcastPkts = 0
	ifInDiscards = 0
	ifInErrors = 0
	ifInUnknownProtos = 0
	ifOutOctets = 0
	ifOutUcastPkts = 0
	ifOutNUcastPkts = 0
	ifOutDiscards = 0
	ifOutErrors = 0
	ifOutQLen = 0
	ifName = port 1: Gigabit Copper
	ifInMulticastPkts = 0
	ifInBroadcastPkts = 0
	ifOutMulticastPkts = 0
	ifOutBroadcastPkts = 0
	ifHCInOctets = 0
	ifHCInUcastPkts = 0
	ifHCInMulticastPkts = 0
	ifHCInBroadcastPkts = 0
	ifHCOutOctets = 0
	ifHCOutUcastPkts = 0
	ifHCOutMulticastPkts = 0
	ifHCOutBroadcastPkts = 0
	ifLinkUpDownTrapEnable = enabled
	ifHighSpeed = 0
	ifPromiscuousMode = false
	ifConnectorPresent = true
	ifAlias = AccessPoint
	ifCounterDiscontinuityTime = 0:0:00:00.00

> This shouldn't be necessary.  There's a client definition for "snmpcollect"
> messages, so the existing xymond_client process should create data and
> status messages.
>
> The code in xymond/client/snmpcollect.c doesn't generate any "data"
> messages, only "status" messages.  So don't expect anything on the trends
> page.

Hmm I will have to look at the code more to try to figure things out a bit better too

> Instead, status messages should appear, which should create their own
> columns.  The column name will be the "mibname" which I'm guessing is the
> [sectionname] in snmpmibs.cfg.

Now that does not happen. Someone else report similar back on Mar 26th 2008; http://lists.xymon.com/archive/2008-March/018374.html

But on Sep 10th 2007, Henrik responded in the email @ http://lists.xymon.com/oldarchive/2007/09/msg00139.html
"Right now it just collects the data. I have some ideas to add monitoring
so it might trigger an alert if the error-rate of an interface goes up,
or the traffic exceeds certain limits (min/max). Nothing definite yet."

So I had just assumed that xymon's snmp capabilities were only to collect & post "client data" and that nothing was enabled/working for taking that and posting "status" or "data" messages and thusly no trends

-Steve