[Xymon] SPLITNCV and graphs

Thu Apr 16 07:12:25 CEST 2015

Hi,

On 15/04/2015 21:04, Galen Johnson wrote:
> I'm trying to add a new graph to a test using NCV (SPLITNCV
> actually).  I read through the graphing tips, I read several emails
> that provided hints (not my exact problem but nudged me the right way)...
>
> long story short.   I finally got he graph to show up on my test
> page...but the rrd file doesn't seem to be populating the fields as
> expected when I run "rrdtool dump".  The only thing I can figure is
> that the test I'm performing doesn't run every 5 minutes but every 15
> minutes.  Does that matter?  I would have expected in the worst case
> that only every 3rd row would have a value.
>
> What am I missing here?  Note, I dropped my test to run every 5
> minutes to see if this theory is true.

Firstly, remember that the rrd specifies how much data must be valid for
it to work. so if 66% of your data is unknown, then it probably isn't
going to work.

While running it every 5 minutes, you need to also remember that by
default xymon will cache the rrd updates from being written to the rrd
file by up to 30 minutes, so try waiting a bit longer and looking at
older data within the rrd.

> As a side note, it would be extremely helpful if the NCV component
> didn't look at the entire status but required a comment block (for
> example) to contain it.  That way you could keep your data stream
> isolated from your message.  For example:
>
> <!-- NCV data
> metric1: 123
> metric2: 456
> etc
> -->
>
> My test kept creating an rrd file for a date string that was part of
> the status message.  That's a bit annoying.

Yes, but then you lose the advantage and simplicity of the ncv format.
Make sure your data is being sent in the correct format so you only
include the data in the right format.

PS, I think I recall you could send the data in a "data" message and
then also send the "pretty" stuff in a status message. I'm on holidays
right now, so can't double check what I did with this.

Regards,
Adam