[Xymon] Any way to do http tests with HEAD request?

Andrew Rakowski landrew at pnnl.gov
Fri Apr 10 03:19:01 CEST 2015

I've been converting from running an installation of BigBrother
professional to Xymon (4.3.18), and I've had some complaints that the HTTP
test is impacting a few of our servers (lots of back-end database requests
and calculations for a generated page that is being tested for
availability.)

I didn't understand why nobody was complaining previously, until I saw
that BigBro was set up to use the "curl" command with the "-I" option (aka
the "--head" option) to send a "HEAD" request to the server.  The BigBro
web test used this setting:

hawkeye{root}169: grep curl etc/bbdef-server.sh
# OR USE curl, WHICH IS BETTER...
LYNX="/usr/bin/curl -g -s -S -m 45 -I -k --connect-timeout 15 --user-agent 'Mozilla/5.0' "
hawkeye{root}170:

Is there some equivalent ability in Xymon to just issue a "HEAD" request
when testing http and https services?

I expected I'd find an equivalent option for use in the hosts.cfg file in
Xymon, but haven't been able to find it if it's there.  Any ideas on how

-Andrew