[Xymon] FreeBSD hobbit client has wrong path to log file

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Tue Sep 9 08:47:04 CEST 2014

On 9 September 2014 10:16, Kris Springer <kspringer at innovateteam.com> wrote:

>  I've got a hobbit client that I installed from a FreeBSD Package running
> on a pfSense firewall.

Time to upgrade to Xymon?  Even so, should work for you.

> It's working fine other than it trying to read /var/log/messages instead
> of /var/log/system.log.  I can't seem to figure out how to define the log
> file.

This is defined on the server (assuming you're in central mode) in the file
client-local.cfg, like so:

[freebsd]
log:/var/log/messages:10240

On my FreeBSD boxes the log file is in /var/log/messages, so that's
probably the standard location, and your installation might be unusual (or
newer than mine).  You can either just edit the filename in
client-local.cfg, or create a section with the hostname of your server, so
that it overrides the [freebsd] definition:

[myhostname]
log:/var/log/messages:10240

Please note that the file needs to be defined twice, once in
client-local.cfg to tell the client to sent the log messages, and a second
time in analysis.cfg (which I think was hobbit-clients.cfg in Hobbit) to
tell Xymon what to alert on.  So if you change the filename in
client-local.cfg, you need to make sure there's a "LOG" definition that
matches in analysis.cfg if you want any, well, analysis done.  Example:

HOST=myhostname
    LOG /var/log/messages "kernel: .* segfault " COLOR=red

I think the default file has no LOG entries at all, so you'll have to add
something here if you want any alerting.

  In the client /xymon/client/etc/hobbitclient.cfg I've set the CONFIGCLASS
> definition to "darwin" which is the only ostype that has the system.log
> type file (listed on the server in /xymon/server/etc/client-local.cfg).

Yep, this won't affect the log collection (again, assuming central mode).
 Instead, the log definition gets pulled from the server each time the
client sends its client data, and stored in a file in
$XYMONTMP/logfetch.<hostname>.cfg.  You might like to have a look at that
file and you'll probably see the "log:/var/log/messages:10240" definition
from the relevant section of client-local.cfg.