[Xymon] disable the ping test version 4.3.7

Mark Felder feld at feld.me
Fri Oct 3 15:40:36 CEST 2014

On Thu, Oct 2, 2014, at 15:17, John Thurston wrote:
> On 10/2/2014 12:03 PM, Mark Felder wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 2, 2014, at 14:59, Simioni, Rodney wrote:
> >> How can I disable the ping test for the whole hosts.cfg file?
>
> > at the top of your hosts.cfg file:
> >
> > 0.0.0.0 .default. # noping
>
> Yes, this will do it.... until the next .default. line in the file. If
> you are going to use the .default. method, you need to append your
> 'noping' (or 'noconn', look up the difference) to every .default. line
> in your file.

I had a pretty large xymon install at my previous employer and we didn't
use the .default. method at all. Didn't even know it existed. Though
after I discovered it, I only used it for a day or two during some
maintenance. I guess I like verbosity :-)

> Probably a better way to do this is to use the '--noping' option on the
> 'xymonnet' task in tasks.cfg. Look at the help file for xymonnet for the
> details.

Yes, this is probably better but in my opinion it's harder to track down
in the future. Make sure you document you changed this :-)