[Xymon] Potential bug in FILE analysis

Vernon Everett everett.vernon at gmail.com
Thu May 22 07:40:08 CEST 2014

Hi all

Not sure if this really classifies as a bug or not.
I am inclined to think it is.

In clientlocal.cfg, I have
[sunos]
file:`/usr/bin/sudo /usr/bin/find /var/crash/ -type f 2> /dev/null`

And this finds 2 files.
/var/crash/bounds
/var/crash/vmdump.0
So far so good.

However, /var/crash/ is a symlink to /var/share/crash/
And /var/share/crash has permissions or 700
So Xymon can determine there is a file, but cannot collect any metadata on
the file, since it cannot stat the files in /var/share/crash/

In analysis.cfg I have this line (with appropriate HOST= value, of course)
FILE    %^/var/cores/.*         NOEXIST         red
When I go to the "files" page, I see the file names there.
Clicking on the file names, I get this info.
[file:/var/crash/vmdump.0]
ERROR: Permission denied

But no red status appears on the test.
Testing, using a similar directory structure, where Xymon can stat the
files, does give a red status.

I can understand that Xymon can't give any info on the file because of
permissions, but in this case, all I care about is that the file exists,
which Xymon has determined.
That should trigger a red status.

Using Xymon 4.3.10

Regards
Vernon

--
"Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory"
- General George Patton