[Xymon] XYmon in a DMZ

Martin Sperl Martin.Sperl at amdocs.com
Tue Mar 11 09:56:53 CET 2014

We have some something like this using msgcache.

Essentially you do the following:
* on one of the xyagents in the  DMZ you configure msgcache by enabling it.
* on all the servers you set up the above server as the XYMONSERVER instead of your central server
* on your central xymon server you:
** set up xymonfetch (removing --server=YOUR.XYMON.SERVER.IP and possibly adding a different polling-interval: --interval=10)
** in your hosts file you add to the "msgcache" server line: "#bbd pulldata=<ip_of_msgcache_server>:1984

That way you get the data via a _pull_ from the server (so the connection is established by the Server and connects to the DMZ) and no connections need to get opened allowing access from the DMZ to the XYMON server.
But there is one thing: There will be a delay of up to 10 seconds between the message getting sent by the agent and the time the message shows up on the server (Agent->msgcache is instantaneous while msgcache -> Server only happens every 10 seconds), which might (depending on your configs) trigger the "alerts" regarding the clocks being out of sync...

Martin