[Xymon] PAGE match and group-only

Davíð Steinn Geirsson david at basis.is
Thu Jun 12 19:09:45 CEST 2014

If it were only one host and two tests, yes, this would be a simple
and clear way to do this. However this config was only an example to
demonstrate the bug - the real configuration is a lot longer. Doing it
this way would end up with an incredibly large and unwieldy alerts.cfg.

This particular xymon installation has ~60 hosts and many hundreds of
tests. The tests have different alert requirements but can basically be
classified into four categories:

1) Call group A 24/7
2) Call group A 8/5
3) Call group B 24/7
4) Call group B 8/5

Different tests on the same machines belong to different alert
groups. In addition, the different groups would like to have their own
page where they can see just their own hosts/tests.

Listing all the tests in alerts.cfg would be madness (I know because
that's how it's been done previously).

So this was my idea on how to solve this issue. Another way I
see would be to use bogus hostnames and make entries like
"server1.example.com-groupA" and "server1.example.com-groupB", but I
think that's horrendously ugly. It's only one machine after all. And
there is a benefit to being able to see all the tests on a single
machine, in addition to the groupA/groupB pages.

Anyway, is this a bug in xymon? I guess it must be, since the manpages
say nothing about this as far as I can tell.

Best regards,
Davíð

--
Bestu kveðjur / Best regards