[Xymon] Why Xymon?

Jamison Maxwell jamison at newasterisk.com
Fri Jun 6 02:52:21 CEST 2014

Extensibility.

I have yet to see a monitoring challenge that I've not been able to meet with Xymon, either through an extension that somebody else has cooked up, or through my own.  The 'XY' in Xymon really means anything, and that's what I've found it good to be for, monitoring anything.  Whenever the conversation comes up, I say that Nagios, Zabbix, Solarwinds, What's up, SCOM, or any other monitoring application is merely that, an application, but Xymon is different.  It's a monitoring platform.  You begin with the basics and there are no limits to what it can do.  I've got extensions that check for a file backup in three lines of bash, try doing that with one of the other platforms.  I've got PowerShell and VB extensions for the Windows guys, python, bash, and Perl extensions for the Unix guys, and SNMP for the network guys.  They all plug in together and work nicely.  This amalgamation would, to be best of my knowledge, not be possible with any other monitoring system.  Plus, easily accessible performance trending graphs, and I've got an incredible affinity for graphs.

In addition, the only other major opponent I've seen in the monitoring arena is Nagios, but Nagios folds at over 2000 tests per interval, while Xymon doesn't even sweat.  Seriously, I've got a Xymon box with over 10,000 tests that runs a load of .01 with 1 vCPU and a gig of RAM.  You can't beat that.

Jamison Maxwell
Jamison at newasterisk.com