[Xymon] custom graphs

Root, Paul T Paul.Root at CenturyLink.com
Tue Jul 8 18:20:14 CEST 2014

Hi,
                This is one of my least favorite things of xymon. It really shouldn't be this hard.

                I've had a script that pulls the %mem of certain processes on various machines.  Right now, I have 3 separate groups of machines with different processes being watched. The purpose is to track memory leaks.

                Previously, I had the script just put out a ps -eo 'pid,%mem,cmd' for the desired processes. Then others wanted a graph, so I've reformatted the output to be just a keyword (either the process name or a significant field of the arguments of the command).

                I get something that looks like this now:
Process Memory Usage

SA: 6.5
MBIM: 2.4
OI: 4.1
 Process' alert levels are defined in /usr/local/etc/procmem.cfg
When levels are exceeded, restarting of the process to free memory is recommended

  xymProcMem,v 1.7 2014/07/07 20:37:17 ptroot Exp ptroot $

                My first iteration, I used <br> to separate the lines. That was a mistake, the source of the html showed them all on one line. I've changed to \n, and that to me should provide the proper output.

                However, looking at the rrd dump, I only get the first one:

        <step> 300 </step> <!-- Seconds -->
        <lastupdate> 1404828303 </lastupdate> <!-- 2014-07-08 09:05:03 CDT -->

        <ds>
                <name> SA </name>
                <type> GAUGE </type>
                <minimal_heartbeat> 600 </minimal_heartbeat>
                <min> NaN </min>
                <max> NaN </max>

                <!-- PDP Status -->
                <last_ds> 6.5 </last_ds>
                <value> NaN </value>
                <unknown_sec> 3 </unknown_sec>
        </ds>

        <ds>
                <name> xymProcMemv16201407 </name>
                <type> DERIVE </type>
                <minimal_heartbeat> 600 </minimal_heartbeat>
                <min> NaN </min>
                <max> NaN </max>

                <!-- PDP Status -->
                <last_ds> 50 </last_ds>
                <value> NaN </value>
                <unknown_sec> 3 </unknown_sec>
        </ds>

                My TEST2RRD looks like:
TEST2RRD="cpu=la,disk,inode,...,nfmsgw=ncv,hpnasnapshot=ncv,ProcMemory=ncv"

And the NCV definitions:
NCV_hpnasnapshot="TotaldevicesinDB:GAUGE,Totalactivedevicesi:GAUGE,Totalinactivedevice:GAUGE,Totaldeviceswithout:GAUGE,Pctactive:GAUGE,Pctinactive:GAUGE,Pctnodriver:GAUGE,Activeattemptedsucc:GAUGE,Activeattemptedunsu:GAUGE,Activebutnotattempt:GAUGE,PctAttemptedsuccess:GAUGE,PctAttemptedunsucce:GAUGE,PctActivebutnotatte:GAUGE"
NCV_ProcMemory="SA:GAUGE,MBIM:GAUGE,OI:GAUGE,MNS1:GAUGE,NMS1:GAUGE,NMS2:GAUGE,NMS11:GAUGE,NMS12:GAUGE,NMS13:GAUGE,NMS14:GAUGE,NMS15:GAUGE,TCMgmtEngine:GAUGE,TCTFTP:GAUGE,TCSyslog:GAUGE,SWIM:GAUGE"

The hpnasnapshot graph works. I've been using it as an example.

Obviously, without all the data in the rrd, there is no point in trying to get a graph to show.

Any ideas from anyone?

Thanks,
Paul.

Paul Root
Lead Engineer
CenturyLink Network Reliability Operations Center

600 Stinson Blvd, N.E.
Flr 2N
Minneapolis, MN 55413
Direct: (651)312-5207