[Xymon] Email alerts with attachments - known solution not working

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Jan 28 22:19:52 CET 2014

Den 28-01-2014 21:57, Shawn Heisey skrev:
> Barely relevant background info: I managed to wipe out my xymon server.
>   I had a backup of my config information that's over six months old, so
> I haven't had to rebuild from scratch.  I also upgraded from 4.3.10 to
> 4.3.12 when I rebuilt it.
>
> I had run into alerts coming through as attachments before, but now
> there seems to be an extra dimension to it.  Before I was able to fix it
> with the following change in xymonserver.cfg:
>
> MAILC="/usr/bin/tr -d '\\015' | mail"
>
> Now that isn't working for all of my alerts.  With some investigation, I
> have been able to determine that additional control characters are now
> being sent from clients.  I've had to extend my MAILC variable to
> eliminate additional characters:
>
> MAILC="/usr/bin/tr -d '\\001\\004\\015' | mail"
>
> Does anyone know if there might be additional characters I'll need to
> eliminate before it gets sent to mail/mailx?  Is there any way to have
> Xymon do this so that no special config is needed?

Have you tried using a different mail client? If you are on a Linux box,
then installing a tool like "mutt" should be easy - I think it is
included in all of the common distributions, and it knows how to handle
non-ASCII content by setting the right MIME-type headers, encoding text
as base-64 and so on.

As far as Xymon is concerned, mutt uses the same commandline syntax. So
you can just replace "mail" with "mutt" in the default MAILC setting in
xymonserver.cfg.